One would think that taking on the music of Queen would be daunting, but the students in the School of Rock Mason Queen Show have fearlessly embraced the music as their own. They have two performances of the show coming up: Saturday January 23 7:30pm at The Sonic Boom Room (the school’s venue in Mason) and Sunday January 24 7pm at The Woodward Theater. Tickets are $6 in advance HERE and $8 at the door.
“This is the best show that I have directed,” says show co-director Joe Klug, who was one of the first staff members at the school when it opened three and a half years ago. “It’s such a great feeling to realize how far the kids have come over the years – some of the performances in this show are really amazing”. If that name sounds familiar it's because he is the drummer for local heroes, Wussy!
Most of the cast of 24 in the show are high schoolers, but there are a few middle schoolers as well. Plus one seven year old who fell in love with Queen when he was three – he’ll be appearing as a special guest artist on one song, appropriately (or is it inappropriately?) on “Tie Your Mother Down.”
Cast members will cycle on and off of stage throughout the 24 song set. “Queen’s music encompassed a variety of styles, and this set embraces them all from the most operatic to the most intimate ballad,” says James Harmon, the other co-director of the show.
School of Rock Mason has more than 190 students, both youngsters and adults, including almost 120 involved in its performance programs. In addition to the Queen Show, students from the performance programs will be putting on the following shows over the next month:
- No Doubt Show on Friday January 23 7:30pm at The Sonic Boom Room in Mason and on Sunday January 24 4pm at The Woodward Theater in Cincinnati
- Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers Show on Friday January 29 7:30pm at The Sonic Boom Room and Sunday January 31 4pm at The Southgate House Revival in Newport KY
- Santana and Los Lobos Show on Saturday January 30 7:30pm at The Sonic Boom Room and Sunday January 31 7pm at The Southgate House Revival
- Rock 101 concert on Friday February 5 7:30pm at The Sonic Boom Room
- British Invasion Show put on by the adult students in the adult performance program on Saturday February 20 8:30pm at Rick’s Tavern in Fairfield
You can learn more about these shows and the school HERE.